Hari Raya holiday is a significant celebration for Muslims worldwide and is often a time for families regardles of race to come together and spend quality time. Over 1000 Malaysian travellers were polled for Agoda’s Global Family Travel Trend Survey and the findings revealed that the top 3 family activities that families were looking to indulge in visiting cultural landmarks, spending time at the beach and having fun at theme parks & attractions.
With so many activities to choose from, it can be challenging to decide where to go. Agoda has put together a selection of activities that are perfect for family time during Hari Raya, these activities offer a diverse range of experiences that are sure to make your Hari Raya holiday a memorable one.
Cultural Landmarks: With its rich multicultural history, Malaysia has no shortage of magnificent heritage sites. From colonial-era architecture to ‘living museums’ of culture, these destinations will give you a chance to learn more about the country’s diverse past.
- Penang’s Town Hall and City Hall: Located side-by-side along the waterfront Esplanade in Penang, these opulent, whitewashed buildings offer visitors a glimpse of Victorian and Edwardian architecture. While City Hall continues to serve as the headquarter of Penang’s City Council, the Town Hall frequently hosts community events like art exhibitions and concerts.
- Jonker Walk, Melaka: Jonker Walk, also known as Jalan Hang Jebat, is the perfect way to immerse yourself in the melting pot that is Melaka. Flanked by some of the city’s oldest homes which date back to the 17th century, Jonker Walk showcases the various cultural influences of the city through a simple stroll.
Time at the Beach: With the country’s abundance of shorelines, beach getaways are a classic holiday experience for many Malaysians. Whether you’re looking to indulge in nature-based activities, or simply relax to the sounds of the ocean, these coastal destinations will definitely hit the spot.
- Langkawi: An archipelago of 99 islands, Langkawi is a popular seaside destination for families thanks to the range of experiences it has to offer. From the gorgeous views at Cenang Beach and island-hopping trips, to rainforest retreats and child-friendly activities, Langkawi has something to satiate any appetite.
- Sipadan Island: Located off Semporna, Sabah, Sipadan Island is known for being a diver’s paradise, making it an ideal escape for more adventurous visitors. The island’s surrounding waters boast of massive coral walls, underwater caves, and a stunning array of colourful marine life.
- Redang Island: With its crystal clear turquoise waters, pristine sandy beaches, and lush greenery, Redang is the perfect place to sit back and unwind. The island is also a sanctuary for nesting turtles, and visitors can take a peek at these magnificent creatures at the Chagar Hutang Turtle Sanctuary.
- Desaru Coast: Nestled against a pristine backdrop of white sandy beaches, Desaru Coast, Johor is a sprawling coastal destination with four globally renowned five-star resorts, luxurious spas, educational eco-tours, an adventure waterpark, and two award winning golf courses amongst other stellar facilities.
Theme parks & Attractions: Often designed for family-centred fun, theme parks can give you some of your most memorable holiday experiences — especially for younger travellers. These attractions offer a host of fun-filled rides and activities for all ages.
- ESCAPE Penang: Situated at Teluk Bahang, Penang, ESCAPE Penang is the epitome of nature meets fun. Blending nature with adventure across over 35 activities that cater to the young and young at heart, this adventure park is bound to leave you and your family craving for more. Aside from hosting a record-breaking 1.1km tube water slide and Guinness World’s Longest Zip Coaster, the theme park has also recently unveiled a man-made ski slope – the first of its kind in Malaysia!
- Genting SkyWorlds: Perched on the mountains of Pahang, Genting SkyWorlds promises sky-high thrills amidst a cooling environment and breathtaking views. The outdoor theme park features 26 rides and attractions across 9 film and adventure-themed ‘zones’, allowing visitors to immerse themselves in a variety of worlds; from the colourful, carnivalesque world of Rio, to the intergalactic excitement of Andromeda Base, to the whimsical wonder of Epic.
With these ideas on tow, we hope you are ready to pack your bags this coming Hari Raya and enjoy a range of activities with the family.