While May’s public holidays, school breaks and long weekends may be very different this year with travel or day trip plans postponed, digital travel platform Agoda shows how you can still explore the globe, shake off that cabin fever and experience what the world has to offer, all without leaving your own home.
Taking Agoda’s travelers’ favourite destinations throughout 2019, combined with the top travel motivations from its Usage & Attitude Survey (U&A), Agoda shares a handy guide to travel in the virtual world. According to Agoda’s U&A survey, Nature/Countryside; Beaches; Food & Dining; Landmarks; and Culture are the top five reasons cited to travel globally, so whether you have always wanted to check out the bustling cosmopolitan cities of Mumbai, Singapore or London, the Arts and Culture of Kuala Lumpur, Paris or New York, or the natural beauty of Canada, Indonesia or South Africa, thanks to the wonders of technology you can!
[expander_maker id=”2″ more=”Read more” less=”Read less”]
Travel Motivation #3 – FOOD & DINING
The number three motivation to travel according to Agoda’s global Usage & Attitude survey, is to experience the food and dining at the destination, this rises to the top spot for travelers from Asia. Just because you can’t travel doesn’t mean you can’t explore the vibrant flavours of the world’s cuisine.
- Replicate Michelin-star dishes with famous Italian chef Massimo Bottura and man behind #KitchenQuarantine encouraging chefs and people from around the world to recreate food they love and travel for. If you have been taking constant trips to the snack cupboard, why not give it a gourmet twist with Munchies from chefs that make it the best.
- If you would like to relish dishes from your favorite movies, cook alongside American filmmaker turn chef Andrew Rea on Binging with Babish
- If local flavours is more your cup of tea, tune in to home grown celebrity chef Anis Nabilah’s social accounts for some hearty Malaysian recipes.
Travel motivation #2 – BEACHES / ISLANDS
Beaches and/or islands are the second favorite global reason to travel. While you might need to wait a while until you can feel the sand between your toes or waves on your back, you don’t need to miss the magic of the ocean completely.
- Dating back 10,000 years, the Buck Island Reef National Park houses many unique corals and sea life. Take National Geographics’ guided dive with marine life photographer Brian Skerry and drift into the spectacular details of the gem colors and textures of this unique and protected barrier reef, watch sea turtle hatchlings make their way into the ocean at night.
- Alternatively, take a virtual dive with sealions at the National Marine Sanctuaries courtesy of the National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA).
Travel motivation #1 – NATURE / CITIES
The number one motivation to travel for explorers across the world is nature and scenery. So Agoda has compiled a collection of natural beauty and cityscape videos to whet your appetite for travelling when it’s time to not stay at home.
- Renowned its great outdoors, Canada offers so much beauty to explore. Gaze into the magical night skies for glimpses of the Northern Lights streamed live every night. How about exploring Banff National Park, where it has a variety of videos available for your “trek” across the country’s oldest national park – Johnston Canyon.
- Indonesia’s beautiful island of Bali is often referred to as paradise on earth. Known for its volcanic mountains, rice paddy fields and most of all its bone white beaches. Get away virtually to the many beaches of Bali, while staying safe at home.
- The wild and rugged landscape of South Africa, with it’s Big Five animal safaris, is captured in Wild Earth’s daily live sunrise and sunset safaris – Wild Earth Safaris South Africa.
- The financial capital of India, Mumbai is not just famous for Bollywood, it is also a melting pot of cosmopolitan India and celebrates several sub-cultures, cuisines and scenery. Mumbai also hosts the world’s second largest number of art-deco buildings amongst other historic colonial, gothic and contemporary architecture as seen on the video.
- Singapore which ranks 13 on the Agoda travelers list for 2019, the island country is a powerhouse of experiences rooting from its mixed culture, yet modern perspective. Enjoy unique views of Garden city’s eclectic culture of modern and traditional.
- UK ranks 16 on the Agoda traveler list London its capital city is pure magic. With 2000 years of history, London is one of the worlds most visited cities and has something for everyone. Walk through iconic landmarks like Tower Bridge, London Eye and Carnaby Street.
And finally, for a truly out of this world travel experience….
Check out the views from NASA’s International Space Station which takes sixteen orbits around the Earth in 24 hours. It sees either a sunset or a sunrise every 45 minutes. What better time to view Earth on NASA’s Space Station live stream than right now?
Agoda’s Top Destinations throughout 2019
6. South Korea
9. United States
|11. Hong Kong|
16. United Kingdom
Agoda’s Usage & Attitude Survey (June to August 2019) was conducted in among 22,000 respondents in 20 countries surveyed.