While May’s public holidays, school breaks and long weekends may be very different this year with travel or day trip plans postponed, digital travel platform Agoda shows how you can still explore the globe, shake off that cabin fever and experience what the world has to offer, all without leaving your own home.
Taking Agoda’s travelers’ favourite destinations throughout 2019, combined with the top travel motivations from its Usage & Attitude Survey (U&A), Agoda shares a handy guide to travel in the virtual world. According to Agoda’s U&A survey, Nature/Countryside; Beaches; Food & Dining; Landmarks; and Culture are the top five reasons cited to travel globally, so whether you have always wanted to check out the bustling cosmopolitan cities of Mumbai, Singapore or London, the Arts and Culture of Kuala Lumpur, Paris or New York, or the natural beauty of Canada, Indonesia or South Africa, thanks to the wonders of technology you can!
[expander_maker id=”2″ more=”Read more” less=”Read less”]
Travel Motivation #5 – CULTURE
MUSEUMS & GALLERIES
- Right in our backyard, which ranks number three on the top destination list for Agoda travelers during 2019, you can dive into Islamic history with a virtual walk-through of the Islamic Arts Museum in Kuala Lumpur, which showcases the rich cultural history of Islamic influence on art, architecture, clothing and calligraphy dating back 1400 years.
- Don’t wait to see the Mona Lisa, The Wedding at Cana or Venus de Milo, housed in the world famous Le Louvre in Paris, instead check out this virtual tour and get up close view of these world-famous paintings, without leaving home.
- Any visit to New York is not complete without a trip to the Metropolitan Museum of Art, and what better way to whet your appetite for a future visit than with a virtual tour. The Met 360 project has released a series of six short videos inviting viewers to virtually visit the Met’s art and architecture in a fresh, immersive way. Experience the wide expanse of the six halls, which includes The Great Hall, The Cloisters, The Temple of Dendur, The Met Breuer, The Charles Engelhard Court and Arms and Armor Galleries
THEATRE AND MUSIC
There’s nothing quite as magical as a trip to the theatre for plays, musicals or dance performances. While currently you can’t get to Broadway or the West End, the Royal Opera House or pop concert tours for your favourite artists, with the magic of showbiz and modern technology, it can come to you.
- If dance is more your scene than West End musicals, be mesmerised by the Bolshoi theatre’s performance of Swan Lake or check out Handel’s Acis and Galatea or The Winter’s Tale, performed by the Royal Opera House and the Royal Ballet.
- If you want to indulge in your musical obsession and check out with Andrew Lloyd Webber’s ‘The Shows Must Go On’, which includes song bursting The Phantom of the Opera, and toe tapping Joseph’s Amazing Technicoloured Dream Coat.
- Pop stars and singers might not be able to fill stadiums right now, but they are doing their best to perform for you at home. So, whether you like to rock to Bruce Springsteen, sing along with Gary Barlow and a selection go world-wide artists during his Crooner Sessions, or want to bust a move to chart-topping Columbia Records artists like Diplo and John Mayer, you can catch them on live stream or their social accounts.
Travel Motivation #4 – LANDMARKS
Chinese and Indonesian tourists are most likely to visit famous attractions when traveling. But globally, it’s the fourth biggest motivation to travel, so check out these Instagram worthy destinations – online.
- They say there is nowhere like Paris in the springtime. Enjoy a virtual trip of, The Eiffel Tower, the most-visited paid monument in the world, which welcomes 7 million visitors every year.
- Achance to take a look inside the Royal palaces may be even more appealing during this stay home period, and for many travelers planning a trip to London, a visit to Buckingham Palace is often on the cards. Fret not, you can still have a nose around, as the Royal Collection Trust is showcasing the palace and sharing its rich history through virtual tours.
- If there was one destination that makes every one, no matter their age believe in magic, it has to be Disneyland. Keep the child in you alive with virtual tours of some of the best Disneyland rides or be blown away with front row seats of Disneyland Paris’s breathtaking night time spectacular ‘Disney Illuminations’.