i-Citra initiative, launched by the government to allow EPF members to withdraw up to RM5,000 from their savings, was announced by Prime Minister Tan Sri Muhyiddin Yassin on 28th June. 12.6million EPF members will be able to withdraw up to RM5,000 at a fixed rate of RM1,000 per month for five months, subject to their account balances.
On 2nd July, EPF posted a FAQ on their website to provide additional information. Here’s everything you need to know about i-Citra:
Why was i-Citra Withdrawal introduced?
The i-Citra withdrawal was introduced to provide additional financial facilities to members affected by MCO to meet the basic needs for their survival.
Eligibility to Apply
EPF members aged 55 and below, including non -citizens and permanent residents; day;
Have a total savings of at least RM150 in the EPF Account on the date of application.
Can an EPF member who is in public service and in a pensionable service scheme apply for i-Citra?
Members of the civil service can apply for i-Citra. However, they are likely to face the risk of using government shares that need to be returned to the government in the future.
What is the amount of withdrawal that is eligible to be withdrawn?
- The withdrawal eligibility amount is up to a maximum of RM5,000.
- Monthly payments will be made for up to five (5) months.
- The prescribed fee is RM1,000 per month or subject to the total savings balance.
- The minimum payment is RM50
- Leaving a balance of at least RM100 in Account 1
- The withdrawal eligibility amount is based on the member’s total savings on the date the application is processed after deducting the next i-Sinar payment (if any)
Why is the maximum amount of i-Citra limited to RM5,000 only?
The maximum amount is set at RM5,000 to assist members in balancing their retirement savings commitments while ensuring their survival.
Why do members need to maintain a minimum deposit in Account 1 of RM100?
A minimum deposit of RM100 must be maintained in Account 1 in order to maintain the status as an EPF member and be eligible for the relevant benefits. (Death Benefit & Incapacitation Benefit)
When can i-Citra applications be made?
Applications can be made from 15th July 2021 to 30th September 2021.
How do I apply for an i-Citra Withdrawal?
Application is only online through the icitra.kwsp.gov.my portal. However, this portal can only be accessed starting 15th July, 2021. More information about it will be announced in the near future.
Can members apply for i-Citra if they have applied for i-Lestari and i-Sinar?
Yes, subject to the qualifications as stated in Question 2.
When do i-Citra payments start?
Fees for applications made in July are expected to be paid starting August 2021.
Can the savings in the Gold Account be used for i-Citra Withdrawal?
Gold Account Savings cannot be used for i-Citra. Refer to the eligibility to apply in question 2.
How can members check their EPF savings amount?
Members can check their savings amount through:
- Account (Member)
- I-Akaun mobile application
- EPF kiosks (including EPF kiosks at third party premises)
Any inquiries and further information regarding i-Citra Withdrawal, please refer to:
- The EPF’s official website is at www.kwsp.gov.my
- Ask ELYA on the EPF’s official website
- EPF official social media
- I-Citra hotline at 03-8922 4848